Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What does the Finnish word 'vaikka' mean?

Vaikka is one of those words with two meanings that have nothing to do with each other.

Although, even though:


  • Sinä tulit, vaikka satoi! - You came although it rained!
  • Miksi sä et soittanut, vaikka mä pyysin? - Why didn't you call even though I asked you to?
  • Mä en osannut vastata yhteenkään kysymykseen, vaikka mä olin opiskellut koko yön. - I couldn't answer a single question even though I had studied all night.


For example, for instance:


  • Syödäänkö vaikka pitsaa? - Shall we eat pizza for example?
  • Mä soitan sulle vaikka viideltä. - I'll call you for example at five.
  • Laita se vaikka tuohon laatikkoon. - Put it to that box for instance.


p.s. Vaikku means earwax.


Kiitos, kun luit! Jos pidit postauksesta, voit jakaa sen eteenpäin.
Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed this post, feel free to share it. 
– Hanna

3 comments:

Nick O. said...

I had no idea about the second sense, tnx

Laura said...

No tämä tuli heti mieleen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaZR3WKy1zs

Anonymous said...

Third meaning - sure, whatever:
- Syödäänkö pitsaa? (- Shall we eat pizza?)
- Vaikka. (- Sure, whatever.)

This is obviously derived from the second meaning:
- Tehdään vaikka niin. (- Let's do that, "for instance".)