Saturday, February 23, 2013

Aika

Here are some expressions with the word aika, time. Hauskaa viikonloppua!

  • Onko sinulla aikaa? - Do you have time?
  • Muista tulla ajoissa. - Remember to come on time.
  • Mitä sinä teit sillä aikaa kun minä nukuin? - What did you while I was sleeping?
  • Mihin aikaan me tavataan? - At what time shall we meet?
  • Ei niin aikaisin! - Not so early!
  • Minä voin tulla aikaisintaan yhdeksältä.- I can come at nine o'clock at the earliest.
  • En ole nähnyt Mattia pitkään aikaan. - I haven't seen Matti for a long time.
  • Me olimme samaan aikaan armeijassa. - We did our service in the army at the same time.
  • Unohdin varata ajan hammaslääkärille! - I forgot to book an appointment with the dentist!
  • Voisitko tyhjentää astianpesukoneen mainoskatkon aikana? - Could you empty the dishwasher during the commercial break?
  • Oli hauska jutella pitkästä aikaa. - It was fun to talk, it had been a long time. 

If you liked this, you might also like my post Kuinka usein? Milloin viimeksi? I've also written a post about aika, melko and melkein.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps it's also good for some people to know that a whole separate meaning of "aika" is "quite", as in:

    Hän laulaa aika hyvin.
    She/he sings quite well.

    It's bizarre that until this article I had not actually seen the connection between "aika" and "aikainen".
    (even more bizarre I didn't notice since for one translation of aikainen, this connection is even present in English - timely)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took me a while, but here it is:

      http://randomfinnishlesson.blogspot.fi/2014/08/aika-melko-melkein.html

      Delete
  2. Kiitos, Tommy! I was actually thinking about adding it, but then I decided to go to sleep instead. I also kind of guessed that one of my readers would leave a comment about it.:)

    ReplyDelete