Monday, February 23, 2015

Normaalisti

I don't usually offer my Finnish tutoring services to strangers on the street, but every time I hear someone saying normaalisesti, I wish I could do something to let them know that it should actually be normaalisti. 

Here's the reason why it is so easy to say normaalisesti:

Very many adjectives end with nen:

  • tavallinen - usual, normal
  • yleinen - common
  • erityinen - special
  • erikoinen - special, strange

The adverbs go like this:

  • tavallisesti - usually, normally
  • yleisesti - commonly
  • erityisesti - specially
  • erikoisesti - in a strange way

However, normal in Finnish is just normaali. There is no such word as normaalinen, and therefore the adverb is normaalisti. Siinä kaikki. That's it. :)

1 comment:

  1. Se oli tavallisesti minun vikasi. Kiitos, nyt sanon normaalisti ))

    ReplyDelete