Monday, March 17, 2014

Kerta

Kerta means a time. It's one of those nouns with a consonant change.

  • Olen ollut siellä (yhden) kerran. - I've been there once. 
  • Olen ollut siellä kaksi kertaa. - I've been there twice. 
  • Ole ensi kerralla varovaisempi. - Be more careful next time.
  • Otin seuraavalla kerralla taskulampun mukaan. - The following time, I took a flashlight with me.
  • Kuinka mones kerta tämä oli? - How many times has this happened before? ("How manyth time")
  • Kolmas kerta toden sanoo! - Third time lucky! (Third time says the truth.)

Kerta in compound words and adjectives:

  • yläkerta - upstairs
  • alakerta - downstairs
  • yksinkertainen - simple
  • kaksinkertainen - double
  • moninkertainen - multiple times

p.s. You might want to check out my posts about aika and aika, melko and melkein. 


No comments:

Post a Comment