Selkomukauttaja is a person who rewrites books in simpler language, so I'd call myself a simplifier in English. I also continue to be a private teacher and an Yki exam evaluator, so my life won't really change that much except that I get to participate in book fairs and other events, and talk to some new people.
Salla Simukka, the author of the original novel, is one of the most translated Finnish author of all times, and her young adult trilogy about Lumikki Andersson has been really popular in many countries. (Lumikki means Snow White.) I chose this trilogy to be simplified, (and luckily got the permission!) because it is suitable for both teenagers and adults, and I thought it might be fun for the readers to follow the same character in three stories. Also, they are planning a movie based on the trilogy.
Punainen kuin veri is the first novel of the trilogy. The heroine, Lumikki Andersson, is a 17-year-old high school student in Tampere. She and her classmates end up solving a mystery of a plastic bag full of bloody 500 euro bills. You can get into the mood of the book through these book trailers, even in multiple languages.
|One place to to buy the book is www.booky.fi.|
The original novel has approximately 250 pages, but the novel in easy Finnish has only 120, and the lines are much shorter than in a regular book. The sentences are short, and the complex grammar structures are made much easier.
The best way to buy Punainen kuin veri is from www.booky.fi. You might also find the book in a good bookstore, or ask the bookstore to order it for you. You can definitely borrow or reserve Punainen kuin veri from any Finnish library.
- A free online course about Punainen kuin veri (Each section of four or five chapters has a short synopsis, a printable worksheet and ten multiple choice questions.)
- Punainen kuin veri vocabulary in Memrise
- Selkokirjalukupiiri - An easy Finnish book club
- Other novels in easy Finnish
- Booking a library book online in Finnish
- Online book shopping in Finnish
- My blog posts about easy Finnish
- Me talking about the book in a podcast
- All my simple Finnish books and extra material
I hope that you'll like the novel! It is also a great gift for someone who is studying Finnish and has reached at least an A2 or B1 level in their studies.
|Romaanin henkilöt - Characters of the novel|
|A map of Tampere to make the reading experience more fun!|
|A sample from pages 8 and 9.|
|A sample from pages 56 and 57.|
- An Aviisi interview of Salla Simukka
- Salla Simukka's thoughts about young adult literature
- An article about a Thai translator of Punainen kuin veri
- An article about Salla Simukka in Image
About the author of this blog: