Thursday, July 13, 2017

Salla Simukka's novel Punainen kuin veri in easy Finnish

Ta-daa! I have a new job! I'm officially a selkomukauttaja now.

Selkomukauttaja is a person who rewrites books in simpler language, so I'd call myself a simplifier in EnglishI also continue to be a private teacher and an Yki exam evaluator, so my life won't really change that much except that I get to participate in events like Turun kirjamessut (at least this year) and perhaps talk to some cool writers. I have two novels completed and three more to come in the near future.

Salla Simukka, the author of the original novel, is one of the most translated Finnish author of all times, and her young adult trilogy about Lumikki Andersson has been really popular in many countries. (Lumikki means Snow White.) I chose this trilogy to be simplified, because it is suitable for both teenagers and adults, and I thought it might be fun for the readers to follow the same character in three stories. Also, they are planning a movie based on the trilogy.

Punainen kuin veri is the first novel of the trilogy. The heroine, Lumikki Andersson, is a 17-year-old high school student in Tampere. She and her classmates end up solving a mystery of a plastic bag full of bloody 500 euro bills. You can get into the mood of the book through these book trailers, even in multiple languages.

Here's a link to Avain's website where you can order the book.

The original novel has approximately 250 pages, but the novel in easy Finnish has only 120, and the lines are much shorter than in a regular book. The sentences are short, and the complex grammar structures are made much easier.

In order to help the readers, I have created a free online course about the novelEach section of four or five chapters has a short synopsis, a printable worksheet and ten multiple choice questions. I'm also working on a Memrise course based on the book, but it's not complete yet as I wanted to finish it while reading the actual book instead of a computer screen.

The easiest way to buy Punainen kuin veri is directly from the publisher's online store. You might also find the book in a good bookstore, or ask the bookstore to order it for you. You can definitely borrow or reserve Punainen kuin veri from any Finnish library. If it's not on the shelf, ask the library staff for help.

I'll add sample pages here once I have the actual book in my hands. It is ready, but it's not out there quite yet, because it's July and that's the month when Finland is taking a break. I will ask the publisher if I could get some kind of a campaign code for my blog readers so that you can get a discount.

I hope that you'll like the novel! It is also a great gift for someone who is studying Finnish and has reached at least an A2 or B1 level in their studies.


Related links and posts:


p.s. The second novel of the trilogy, Valkea kuin lumiwill be published in easy Finnish later this summer, and Musta kuin ebenpuu will very likely be in simplified Finnish sometime in 2018. If you cannot wait, you can always read the original book or a translation.:)



1 comment:

  1. It was a trully a pleasure time when I was reading this book. When I started, I was a bit afraid that it would be too difficult even though it's written in selkokieli. But I have to say that this book is full of words that are commonly used in normal speech, so even if I had to look up a few words at each page in the dictionary, it felt both as pleasure reading and as studying at the same time. The story is really cool and keeps you going on and on. This was the first book ever that I read in Finnish, and I have to say that this is an amazing book to start with, if you haven't read anything in Finnish before!

    ReplyDelete