Thursday, January 3, 2013

Anteeksi

I'm sure you've noticed how Finns have taken the English sorry and turned it into sori. Sure, it's much better than Oho! - Oops!, but sometimes you need more. Here are sentences with anteeksi and other ways to express that you are very, very sorry.

  • Anteeksi, että olen myöhässä. - I'm sorry that I'm late.
  • Anteeksi, kun en soittanut. - I'm sorry that I didn't call.
  • Anna anteeksi. - Forgive me.

  • Olen todella pahoillani.  - I'm really sorry.
  • Mä oon tosi pahoillani. - I'm really sorry.
  • en tarkoittanut sitä. - I didn't mean it.

  • Se oli vahinko. - It was an accident.
  • Se oli minun vikani. - It was my fault. 
  • Se oli mun vika. - It was my fault.



If this was useful, you might also like my post How to say you're sorry in Finnish.


2 comments:

  1. Kun haluan kysyä jotakin kohteliaasti, voin aloittaa sanalla "anteeksi". Luulen, että täällä "anteeksi" tarkoittaa "excuse me" englanniksi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. In a way, the word is quite close to pardon in its uses.

      Delete