Saturday, September 20, 2014

voida - saada - osata

Do you know the difference between voida, saada and osata?

  • Mä voin auttaa sua. - I can help you. 
  • Mä saan auttaa sua. - I can help you.
  • Mä osaan auttaa sua.  - I can help you. 

voida (voin, voin, voinut) is to be able to, to can. (Also to feel.)

  • Mä voin auttaa sua. - I can help you. I have the skill and the time, and there's nothing stopping me from helping you. 
  • Voinko mä tuoda jotain? - Can I bring something?
  • Voitko odottaa vähän aikaa? - Can you wait for a while?
  • Voisitko sä avata oven? - Could you open the door?

saada (saan, sain, saanut) is many things, for example to get, to receive, and to have a permission.

  • Keneltä sä sait tämän? - From whom did you get this?
  • Mä en saanut sitä sähköpostia. - I didn't receive that email. 
  • Saanko mä sanoa jotain? - May I say something?
  • Saatko sä jo uida? - Are you allowed to swim already?
  • Te ette saa tulla tänne! - You are not allowed to come here.
  • Miksi mä en saa koskaan tehdä mitään kivaa?! - Why can't I ever do anything fun?!

osata (osaan, osasin, osannut) is to know how to do something.

  • Mä osaan auttaa sua. - I can help you. I know what to do. 
  • Miksi mä en osaa tehdä tätä? - Why can't I do this?
  • Osaatteko te tulla meille? - Do you know how to get to my place?
  • Osaatko sä ranskaa? - Do you know French?

No comments:

Post a Comment