Monday, November 17, 2014

Feeling verbs

Certain verbs that express emotional or physical feelings (and changes) are conjucated in a peculiar way. Whoever feels something is in partitive, and the verb is in third person, as the idea is that something is making you feel like something. If you want to express that something happens in general, you can leave the pronoun out. All the verbs in this list are transitive. Some of them have an intransitive counterpart (e.g. väsyttää, to make tired > väsyä, to get tired), but not all.

  • ahdistaa: Mikä sua ahdistaa? - What's making you feel anxious?
  • aivastuttaa: Mikä sua aivastuttaa? - What's making you sneeze? 
  • janottaa: Mua janottaa. - I'm thirsty.
  • harmittaa: Eikö sua harmita tämä asia? - Doesn't this thing annoy you? (Less than ärsyttää)
  • haukotuttaa: Mua on haukotuttanut koko päivän. - I've felt like yawning the whole day.  
  • hermostuttaa: Mikä sua hermostuttaa? - What's making you nervous?
  • huimata: Minua huimaa. - I'm feeling dizzy. 
  • itkettää: Itke, jos itkettää. - Cry, if you feel like crying.
  • kaunistaa: Kylmä kahvi kaunistaa. - Cold coffee makes you pretty. (A Finnish proverb. Yeah right.)
  • kutittaa: Mun korvaa kutittaa. - My ear itches. Älä kutita mua! - Don't tickle me! 
  • lihottaa: Sokeri lihottaa. - Sugar makes you fat. 
  • masentaa: Älä masenna mua. - Don't make me feel depressed. 
  • naurattaa: Mikä sua naurattaa? - What's making you laugh? Why are you laughing?
  • oksettaa: Oksettaako sua? - Do you feel like throwing up?
  • pelottaa:  Mikä sua pelottaa? - What are you afraid of?
  • pierettää: Mene ulos, jos sua pierettää. - Go outside, if you feel like farting. 
  • pissattaa: Pissattaako sua? - Do you have to pee?
  • pyörryttää: Minua pyörryttää. - I feel like I'm going to faint. 
  • vituttaa: Mikä sua vituttaa? - What's pissing you off? (Very vulgar, but used a lot.)
  • väsyttää: Mua väsyttää. - I'm feeling tired. 
  • ärsyttää: Mua ärsyttää tänään kaikki. - I'm annoyed by everything today. (More than harmittaa.)

If this was useful, you might also like my post about tuntea, tuntua and tutustua and How do you feel in Finnish?

No comments:

Post a Comment